Tuesday, June 11

Tuesday, June 11

North 24° 27.580’
West 110° 41.208’
Distance: 24.1 miles

We paddled 24.1 miles today. That is my second best day and the best day Mike and I have had together. We got up early, ate a couple eggs, and were in the water by 7:45. Before 8:00am my rudder cable broke on the right side. We made two hours of paddling into the wind and then pulled over for a break. Mike and I took the rudder apart and repaired it with the BuckTool, the Leatherman, and two shovels. Pretty crude, but we got it working. We were hungry so we made 3 ½ peanut butter and jelly sandwiches each. We used all the bread, peanut butter and jelly. The bread came with soccer trading cards – three of them. We ended up with an empty jelly jar and two empty peanut butter jars, so we wrote three messages and put a trading card and a note in each and set them loose. At 1:00pm we started again. The day got better and better. The water has been cold because of the wind, but I took a bath around 2:30 anyway. We stayed on the water until about 7:15, then found a great ledge on a cliff with rock and a little gravel a few inches off of the water. We made bean burritos and started on a little tequila. We are now 115 miles from Loreto and 527 from Pete’s Camp. I am constantly looking around at my life in amazement. I love it out here and keep thinking that I want it to go on and on. The night is calm, the sunset is orange and purple. Another great day on the Sea of Cortez.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home